July 16, 2009

What is Theraplay?

Theraplay is a short-term, therapist-guided dyadic psychotherapy that focuses on parent-child relationships. It:


* Enhances attachment, self-esteem and trust in others through joyful engagement
* Is based on the natural patterns of healthy interaction between parent and child
* Focuses on four essential qualities found in parent-child relationships: structure, engagement, nurture and challenge
* Creates an active and empathic connection between child and parents
* Results in changed view of the self as worthy and lovable, and of relationships as positive

I will be attending a Theraplay training next month in my quest to become certified at facilitating Theraplay. I have already attended an introductory class which allows me to apply basic Theraplay principles in my work. I am eager to pursue this credentialing and be better able to serve families requesting my services.

For more information on Theraplay please see their web site: www.theraplay.org

No comments: