January 1, 2010

How Are You Doing?

It's a new year and a good time to take a close look at how you interact with your children. The next time you've had a difficult moment ask yourself the following questions:

Would I want someone to say to me what I just said to my child?

Am I talking to my child in such a way that he hears what I'm saying instead of tuning me out?

What am I trying to to accomplish with my child?

If your answers are not what you want them to be don't beat yourself up. We all have moments where we're not the parent we want to be. Take a deep breath and say to yourself, Tomorrow is a "great big do-over." Then take a few moments to re-frame that difficult moment and think of how you can handle it differently next time.

Just as it takes time to break a bad habit it will take time to change the way you interact with your child. Take it one small step at a time and be aware that success lies in the trying.

1 comment:

Allyn Evans said...

Hi, Pam!

Thanks for commenting on my blog. I also have a parenting column blog: www.thealertparent.com

Would love to feature you as a guest on it. This column is also published in two small Mississippi newspapers. Typically, I ask that guests write a 400 to 500 word column and then I will introduce and provide a summary.

Allyn Evans
info at allynevans.com