December 18, 2007

Selecting Toys

The toy aisles are jammed packed this time of year. I have no young children in my family to purchase toys for but I enjoy walking the aisles to see what toys are being marketed.

The vast number of electronic toys amazes me. Technology has become a big part of our lives and it's no different for children. However, I can't help but wonder what kind of an effect electronic toys have on children. I feel they inhibit creativity by not encouraging a child to use their imagination.

If you're purchasing toys for children this holiday season I'd like to offer these suggestion:

Blocks, board games, Legos, puppets, art supplies, Lincoln Logs, a tea set, puzzles. Think back to the toys of your childhood. Which ones bring back memories? By giving a special child in your life a toy that doesn't require batteries you will be encouraging their creativity. Once the child has opened your gift, get down on the floor and play with them. You'll be making new holiday memories for both you and your favorite child.

No comments: