August 31, 2007

The Hardest Job in the World

When I was a child I watched the Andy Griffith show, the Brady Bunch and reruns of Leave it to Beaver. Television fathers made parenting look so easy. They were wise and had all the answers. They never seemed to struggle with finding solutions to problems and there was always a happy ending.

When I became am parent I realized it’s not that easy. You don’t always have all the answers and quite often you’re just experimenting. There is not a handbook attached to your child when you bring her home from the hospital and even if there was it could never begin to cover all the various aspects of raising children.

If you’re struggling with the challenges of parenting keep in mind that it’s trial and error. You're learning as you go. You’re doing the best that you can.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My aunt gave me the best advice not long after I delivered my first child:

"Put the books away and your instincts will take over."

I needed to hear that because I really had the baby blues, and that advice immediately lifted the weight from my shoulders. I realized that babies just need love, and of course I could do that. I just wasn't sure about the taking care of part too well yet. I made it through that difficult time, and I'm very proud of my children today.

Pam Dyson, MA, LPC, RPT said...

How fortunate you were to have an aunt who gave you such good advice. I'm glad to hear that you are proud of your children. All that hard work paid off.