August 27, 2007

I Did It!

I’m a list maker. I make one at the start of each day. Making a list assures me that I won’t overlook something important. But I’ll let you in on a little secret. I’ve found that the real reason I make a list is because I love to scratch the items off as they are accomplished. My daily goal is to tackle each and every item on the list.

Quite often my daily list contains more items than are humanly possible to accomplish and by the end of the day I feel defeated. I beat myself up for not completing everything on the list.

Realizing that this approach wasn’t doing anything to improve my sense of self, I decided to turn things around. At the end of each day I now take a minute to review the things from my list that I was able to complete and I pat myself on the back for a job well done.

If you’re a parent, use a similar approach with your child. During their bedtime routine have your child list three things they did that day that they are proud of. It will foster self-esteem and put the focus on the positive rather than the negative. Even better, write those three things down in a journal. What fun you and your child will have reviewing those lists. What a boost to your child’s self image.

No comments: